- Brought $35M ICC arbitration on behalf of a Chinese technology company against a New York-based software producer for failure to provide funding and products to the parties’ Beijing-based joint venture.
- Represented New York-based client in AAA arbitration against private equity fund involving breaches of consulting agreement and compliance with SEC regulations.
- Defended San Jose-based software engineer in proceeding to confirm a foreign arbitration award in California federal court; obtained favorable ruling on novel point of law relating to the garnishment of stock options.
- Brought ICC arbitration seated in London on behalf of U.S. client against venture capital fund for breaches of share purchase agreement relating to wireless start-up.
- Advised U.S. clients on bringing arbitration against Central American state for violations of investment treaty protections.
- Won USD $90M award in ICSID arbitration seated in London on behalf of Greek and Israeli investors whose long‐term oil and gas pipeline concessions were expropriated by Republic of Georgia.
- Successfully defended Canadian medical device manufacturer and subsidiary against breach of contract claims brought by U.S. distributor in AAA-ICDR arbitration seated in New York.
- Obtained favorable settlement for Luxembourg‐based aluminum processor in AAA-ICDR arbitration seated in New York involving a contract for sale of bauxite.
- Represented Mexican national in New York federal court application seeking discovery in aid of foreign proceeding under 28 USC §1782.
- Assisted non-party creditors in quashing subpoenas served pursuant to bankruptcy action in New York.
- Obtained favorable settlements for private equity firm and individual directors in five separate class action litigations in U.S. federal courts alleging fraud and other business torts brought by institutional and individual investors following bankruptcy of major U.S. automotive supplier.
- Successfully defended cable broadcaster against shareholder lawsuit in Delaware state court seeking a preliminary injunction and in subsequent appeal.
- Advised major shareholder of Fortune 500 company in lawsuit in U.S. federal court with company management involving ownership of shares.
- Represented Big Four accounting firm in federal litigation arising from SEC investigation of client involving alleged accounting fraud.
- Successfully defended executor against challenge in dispute over estate in New York state court.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for minority member in textile LLC on its tort and contract claims in New Jersey federal court against majority member.
- Represented U.S. wine distributor against Italian wine producer in New York federal court arising from breach of exclusive distribution agreement.
- Served as local counsel defending former executive of a construction company sued in New York state court by a former employer in relation to employment and severance agreements.
- Served as local counsel in defending Texas- and Nevada-based companies sued in New Jersey federal court for ERISA claims.
- Obtained favorable settlement for bankruptcy administrator of aerospace leasing company on its breach of contract claims against major European airplane manufacturer in New York state court.
Compliance & Commercial Experience
- Advised Fortune 500 multi-national automobile manufacturer on compliance with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Performed year-end compliance review for U.S. company’s securities filing.
- Advised major financial institution on compliance with U.S. money laundering regulations.
- Represented clients in various industries in investigations before the S.E.C. and C.F.T.C.
- Investigated copyright terms and ownership of extensive international catalog of IP rights.